Estate and lettings agents often focus on building their relationships with landlords and tend to provide a lower service for the other clients looking to rent. All clients are the lifeblood of any business and so we keep a consistent, professional, yet personal, service throughout.

 Applying for a Rental Property

What Do I Need to Rent a Property?

Once you have found the perfect rental property, you will need to let us know you want to apply by calling our office. We always recommend you do this as soon as possible as the rental market moves quickly.

You will be asked a series of questions to establish if you meet the criteria to rent the property and also to allow us to give the landlord all the relevant information about who will be living in their property.

Access to the internet and a valid email address for all applicants is required to apply for the property.

Once references are complete and everything is acceptable your move in date will be confirmed via your allocated property manager.

What Would I Need to Provide?

When completing the referencing process you will need to upload the following documents via our referencing company Vouch. The process is quick, easy and can be completed by computer, laptop or smart phone.

Required Documents:

  1. Photo identification – Passport / Driving Licence

  2. Proof of current address – Recent utility bill, bank statement or similar

  3. Proof of income – Three consecutive months wage slips or confirmation of benefits received

  4. Written reference from your current landlord (if applicable)

Do I Need a Guarantor?

In some cases, you may be required to provide a Guarantor with your application, who would be responsible for paying any shortfalls in rent or for repairs to the property.

Your Guarantor will be referenced in the exact way as you are, via our referencing company Vouch.

Please note: Your guarantor will be joint and severally liable for the tenancy, which means they will be liable for the rent on the whole tenancy including any other occupants shares, as our Tenancy Agreements are all jointly liable agreements.

You will require a Guarantor if:

  1. You earn less than two and a half times the annual rent

  2. You are in receipt of Housing Benefits

  3. You have a temporary or zero hour employment contract

  4. You have a CCJ, IVA or Bankruptcy (Active or Satisfied) on your credit file

Please note, to be eligible as a Guarantor, you must be able to meet all of the following criteria:

  1. A Guarantor must be an individual, not a couple or a company

  2. The Guarantor must not be residing in the property during the tenancy

  3. The Guarantor must have an income of at least three times the annual rent

  4. If self-employed, the Guarantor must be able to provide a tax return or a reference from their accountant.

  5. The Guarantor must be a UK resident

  6. The Guarantor should ideally be a homeowner

Please note: If you are unable to find a Guarantor and if the landlord agrees, your application can still be processed if you are able to pay six months’ rent up front.

All applications are accepted at the landlord’s discretion and can be declined by the landlord with no explanation given.

Can I Have My Landlord’s Contact Details?

This depends on the service your landlord has opted for. If your landlord has opted for a Let Only service, we will move you into your property and release keys once the agreements have been signed.


From that point forward you will deal directly with your landlord.

If your landlord has opted for a managed service, you will deal with Matthew's Estate throughout your tenancy and we will liaise with the landlord on your behalf.

How do I Terminate My Tenancy?

Firstly, you will need to ensure that you are not within a fixed term. If your tenancy is due to come to an end or on a periodic agreement then you need to give one month’s written notice to be served in line with your tenancy commencement date.

If you deal directly with your landlord then this notice must be served to them. Otherwise, you will send this to Matthew's Estate Head Office: 257 New Church Road, Hove, BN3 4EL

All tenant notices must be received by the tenancy commencement date and it is from this date it will be deemed as received.

For example, if your tenancy started on the 15th, you must ensure notice is served on or before 15th of the month, to vacate the property on the 14th of the following month. The notice must be signed by all tenants stated on the agreement or it will not be accepted.

Where Will My Deposit Be Registered?

This will be stated on your tenancy agreement, and you will receive a ‘Prescribed Information’ document shortly after the start of your tenancy detailing the scheme which your deposit is held and the terms and conditions relating to it.

If your property is managed by Matthew's Estate, your deposit will be held with the TDS (Tenancy Deposit Scheme) unless otherwise advised.




Utilities and council tax 

if included within the tenancy.

A refundable deposit, capped at six weeks' rent.

The cap could be five weeks' rent for properties where the annual rent is less than £50,000, under an amendment put forward in the House of Lords.

A refundable holding deposit to reserve the property, 

capped at one week's rent.

Changes to the tenancy requested by the tenant, 

capped at £50 (or "reasonable costs").

Early termination of the tenancy requested by the tenant.

Defaults by the tenant, 

such as fines for late rent payments or lost keys. These must be "reasonable costs", with evidence given in writing by the landlord or agent.

Selling or Renting your property in Brighton & Hove?

Take advantage of our free property valuation service & have an agent visit today.

MEto let-3.jpg
MEto let-2.jpg